Details

Flying over bisons – Minnesota, USA – Images by Jim Brandenburg

Category:

Daily Videos, September

Tags:

Your email address will not be published.

35 Comments

• Judi Gibbs

Were you in a glider?

• Marilyn Heuser

A vast land for vast grazing. Wow!

• Anonymous 2 months ago

First we had the sound effects police (ad nauseam). Now we have the drone police. What’s next?

• How about the nonsensical comment police. You’re equating disturbing wildlife with a drone to a viewer’s preference for natural sounds only?

• Jeanne Brown Emery

I heard my meadowlark again!!!

• Disturbing the herd with a low flying drone, for entertainment purposes, is unnecessary. Surprised me, didn’t expect that from this team. Seems inconsistent with the purpose of this series (which I’ve been watching and raving about for 3 years).

• Nature 365 2 months ago

Hello,
      We usually do not participate in exchanges and let users express themselves. But “disturbing wildlife” is an important issue. Thank you for caring! We hesitated a lot before scheduling this post as we expected such comments, and we are likely to remove it from next year’s collection. But please note that Mr Brandenburg had the official authorization and that the State Park manager was with him that day. The shooting was under control and caused very little disturbance to the bison.

• Pamela Traxler

Wonderful footage. Love it! ❤️

• Charles Skalbeck 2 months ago

“Unmanned aircraft or drones are defined as “aircraft” by the Federal Aviation Administration and it is unlawful to land any aircraft on lands or water totally within the boundaries of any state park, state recreation area, or state wayside. Because of the prohibition on “landing,” operating unmanned aircraft in these areas is not practical. The division is also concerned about the impact of unmanned aircraft to natural resources (especially wildlife), to division buildings and infrastructure, and to other visitors’ safety, privacy, and quality of experience.” DNR website.

• Charles Skalbeck 2 months ago

You should know this regulation because you need a FAA107 drone certificate to use a drone for commercial photography. “The Part 107 Certificate is required for anyone who flies a drone for commercial purposes, such as real estate photography or entertainment/event photography. “

• Maynard Kelsey 2 months ago

Wonder what we would do without you, Charles!

• Anonymous 2 months ago

FYI Charles: Jim had a permit to use the drone from MN DNR and the Blue Mounds State Park Manager was standing next to Jim while he filmed.

• Nature 365 2 months ago

Hello,

• Francis Gendron

Yeah, the bisons seems alerted but fortunately not too disturbed.

• Nancy Dahlen

Where is this bison herd?

• Ken-Renae Madison

Nancy,
      Most likely Blue Mounds State Park north of Luverne, Minnesota…just like being there!
      Ken

• Ken-Renae Madison

Nancy,
      Ken

• Nancy Dahlen

Ken-Renae Madison That’s what I was thinking. It looked like it.

• Keven Jansen

The exposed rock gives it away. Park has it everywhere.

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      You’re right. My parents, Keith and Aldine Madison, built the Blue Mound Inn restaurant across the road from the Blue Mounds State Park in 1968. We had a continuation of the Sioux Quartzite rock outcroppings on our property. As you likely know, it’s one of the hardest types of rock. Prior to constructing the restaurant, we used a special drill rig from Texas to rapidly drill a well through the quartzite. Fortunately, an abundant supply of high quality water was encountered at 312 feet. With a highly reliable source of good water, construction of the restaurant proceeded. My parents owned and operated the Blue Mound Inn Restaurant and Catering Service for many years. Did you enjoy many meals at the restaurant?
      Ken

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      Ken

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      Ken

• Keven Jansen

Ken-Renae Madison I graduated from Luverne in 69. You were a year ahead of me I think and your sister was a year behind if my memory is correct.

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      You’re right, I was 68, and my younger sister was 70. My older sister was 66. Good times at Luverne in the late 60’s!
      Did we happen to be in band or chorus together?
      Ken

• Keven Jansen

Ken-Renae Madison no, but I think we both went Grace Lutheran.

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      That would be correct. Maybe we did Luther League together.
      Ken

• Keven Jansen

I just looked at your profile and see you are friends with Carol Dittberner. How is that?

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      My wife Renae’s first teaching position was in the St Paul School District. She and Carol taught Special Education together at the same school for many years. They’ve remained in close contact over the years.
      What is your connection to Carol?
      Ken

• Keven Jansen

Ken-Renae Madison Carol is a very good friend of mine and her daughter is my neighbor. A very small world.

• Ken-Renae Madison

Keven,
      Small Indeed!
      Please greet Carol from us when you see her.
      Ken

• Keven Jansen

Ken-Renae Madison I sure will.

• Karla McKenzie

Ken-Renae Madison turkey on the rocks!!
      Meat was carved on a boulder.
      I grew up in Luverne, too!

• Ken-Renae Madison

Karla,
      Those were the days. It was my Dad, Keith’s, idea to carve the roasted turkeys on the rock at the end of the smorgasbord line. People would ask him how we got that huge boulder, with the flat top, inside the restaurant. Dad, with a straight face, would tell them that we discovered the big rock and decided to construct the building around it. Then he would laugh hard, and tell them the truth:
      During construction, we found the BIG rock, with the flat top, at the bottom of the hill…below the building which was already enclosed. We got the idea for a slogan, and decided to pursue “Turkey On The Rock”. We consulted with Shorty Siebenhauler to check out the feasibility of moving the boulder into the building. Shorty looked it over and thought it could be done. He brought out his large caterpillar, and got the rock to the back door. The hardest part was rolling the rock into the dining room on metal pipes…including turning a corner. With a lot of us pushing and shoving, we got it to where the end of the food line would be. I couldn’t begin to guess how many turkeys (and other meats) were carved on the big rock over the decades. BTW, I used to tell people they’d better have “high speed film” if they wanted to get a clear picture of Dad carving a turkey…at lightning speed. When my Mom, Aldine, assisted…they could have likely set the land speed record for turkey carving. Thanks for helping to remind me of great times at the Blue Mound Inn!
      Ken

• Nancy Dahlen

Ken-Renae Madison our family had many meals at Blue Mound Inn. And my dad, Art, worked for Shorty after he quit farming in the late ’80s. Not sure anymore of the exact years.

• Karla McKenzie

Ken-Renae Madison that’s awesome!
      I never knew the true story of that boulder.
      I do know the Blue Mound Inn was THE place to go to celebrate special occassions. So many great memories of family and friends there. The food and service was always outstanding.

This area is intended to allow you to post your comments about videos. The data cannot be collected there or used in other purposes. A moderator may delete any comment which would not be in line with the videos, the editorial line of the site, or which would be unlawful.
The above-mentionned information marked with (*) are required by FollowFocus to post your comments. Our company is the sole recipient. However, these information can be accessed, for purely technical reasons, to providers ensuring their treatment and their hosting or support.
According to applicable regulations, you have, at any time, a right to access, to oppose, if any legitimate reasons, to rectify and to erase all your personal data. If you wish to exercise any of this right and gain access to your personal data, please send your request to: contact@followfocus.fr.